November 26, 2011

New-ish WOW card


So I just realized this morning some Warcraft cards I made a few months ago had been released without me realizing it.  It's tough to keep up on when stuff hits the street.

One of the diffucilties in making Warcraft art is that the provided reference is in-game models, which are often times confusing to decipher from a screenshot.  Below I show trying to figure out what the texture is telling me the costume is supposed to be.  Usually the in-game assets are pretty good, and I have a great appreciation for the modelers and texturers at Blizzard making tiny game models make sense while being creative under technical constraints.


And below is the final card art... With a bit of experience you get good at assuming what the game artists intended, but it's sometimes difficult to know when to be literal and when to extrapolate.


5 comments:

  1. Very cool Mike! I would imagine it would be difficult to work from the in-game models at times, especially in situations when the armor doesn't quite possible sit right on the body (I'm always impressed that you pull it off quite well!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice piece Mike! The blue around her eyes is great, and I like the flood of warm light. The stone work in the background is bold, but doesn't overpower the character.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome piece, Mike! So great to have you on board with the Shadowcore crew :) I love the little sketch over showing how you decipher the model reference you're sent when doing these.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys! Not my best work, but I thought I should post something. :) I'm trying to up the ante with my newer Blizzard work to get more forced perspective in the poses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice! :D You WOW pieces are so great! Now you get to look forward to all the lewd commits about her when you post it on Deviant Art. :P

    ReplyDelete